Lighthouse Punta Palascìa in Apulia, Italy - get details, & find more attractions to visit nearby

Get Travalour for free on Google Play

Lighthouse Punta Palascìa

SP87, 73028 Otranto LE, Italy

Lighthouses

About Lighthouse Punta Palascìa

The lighthouse of Punta Palascìa, also known as Capo d’Otranto is commonly known as the easternmost point of the Italian peninsula; the tip that extends into the Otranto Canal. Already in thePeutingerian table, the settlement is reported under the name of Ydrunte. The lighthouse stands not far from where, up to the 19th century, there was a watchtower built during the Middle Ages.



Attractions near Lighthouse Punta Palascìa

Aragonese Castle of Otranto4.74km from Lighthouse Punta Palascìa

The castle of Otranto is the fortress of the homonymous city located in Puglia, in the province of Lecce. The castle, which gave its name to the first Gothic novel in history, is closely related to the city walls with which it forms a single defensive apparatus. The current appearance of the fort is in fact due to Spanish Viceroys, who made it a real masterpiece of military architecture: extraordinary defense works were implemented in 1535 by Don Pedro of Toledo.

Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Announcement4.93km from Lighthouse Punta Palascìa

The cathedral of Santa Maria Annunziata is the most important Catholic place of worship in the city of Otranto, the mother church of the homonymous archdiocese. In July 1945, Pope Pius XII elevated the cathedral to the dignity of a minor basilica.  The cathedral, built on the remains of a Messapian village, a Roman Domus, and an early Christian temple, was founded in 1068 by the Norman bishop Guglielmo. It is a synthesis of different architectural styles including Byzantine, Early Christian, and

Baia dei Turchi10.54km from Lighthouse Punta Palascìa

The Baia dei Turchi , a few kilometers north of Otranto , is the place where, according to tradition, the Turkish warriors landed during the siege of the city of Otranto in the 15th century ( Battle of Otranto ). Sandy and unspoiled, the bay belongs to the precious protected oasis of the Alimini Lakes , one of the most important ecosystems of Salento and Puglia.

Alimini Lakes12.03km from Lighthouse Punta Palascìa

The Alimini lakes or Limini lakes are two Apulian lakes located north of the city of Otranto, in the province of Lecce. The two lakes are connected by a canal, called Lu Strittu . The name of the place derives from the ancient Greek and Byzantine name λίμνη, which translated into Italian means lake, swamp, or basin. It is almost completely surrounded by a rocky strip, richly covered by thick pine forests and Mediterranean scrub.

Grotta Zinzulusa13.37km from Lighthouse Punta Palascìa

The Zinzulusa is a natural coastal cave located along the Salento coast between Castro and Santa Cesarea Terme, one of the best known anchialine caves in southern Italy.  The name of the cave derives from the dialect word " zinzuli ", rags, and is due to the karst formations, in particular stalactites , which hang from the ceiling as if they were hanging rags. The formation of the cave, which occurred due to marine erosion, dates back to the Pliocene period.

Marina di Pescoluse36.83km from Lighthouse Punta Palascìa

Pescoluse is a seaside resort in the province of Lecce and a hamlet of Salve. It is located in the lower Salento, on the stretch of the Ionian coast between Torre Pali and Torre Vado, the height of the Fano canal.  The coast is low and sandy, characterized by the presence of dunes behind it. The peculiarity of the beach is that it has very fine and very clear sand, the finest in Salento. The coast faces south and its particular position allows Pescoluse to enjoy clear and crystalline water durin

Where is Lighthouse Punta Palascìa

Discover more attractions in Apulia, where Lighthouse Punta Palascìa is located

Apulia52 attractions

Apulia is a region of Italy, located in the southern peninsular section of the country, bordering the Adriatic Sea to the east, the Ionian Sea to the southeast, and the Strait of Otranto and Gulf of Taranto to the south. The region comprises 19,345 square kilometers, and its population is about four million.