Attractions to explore nearby Giardini della Biennale
Giardini Della Biennale is an area of parkland in the historic city of Venice which hosts the Venice Biennale Art Festival. The traditional site of La Biennale Art Exhibitions since the first edition in 1895, the Giardini rise to the eastern edge of Venice and were made by Napoleon at the beginning of the nineteenth century. The gardens are also famous for the many cats which run wild in the vicinity and for some of the sculptures such as the statue of Garibaldi situated at the entrance.
The Arsenal of Venice is an ancient complex of shipyards and workshops that forms a very large part of the island city of Venice, at its eastern end. It was the heart of the Venetian naval industry starting from the 12th century and is linked to the most flourishing period of the life of the Serenissima: thanks to the imposing ships built here, the Venetian Republic was able to fight the Ottomans in the Aegean Sea and conquer the routes of northern Europe.
San Giorgio Maggiore is a 16th-century Benedictine church on the island of the same name in Venice. San Giorgio Maggiore's gleaming white facade faces across the basin of San Marco to the great piazza. Built as part of the Benedictine monastery on the island. The island, or more specifically its Palladian church, is an important landmark. It has been much painted, featuring for example in a series by Monet.
One of the majestic church in Venice, designed in 1566 by Andrea Palladio and finished in 1610 by Vincenzo Scamozzi. The church stands on the island of San Giorgio Maggiore, opposite the monumental San Marco Basilica, and is one of the first sights of Venice visible to the traveler approaching by sea. The church is a basilica in the classical Renaissance style and its brilliant white marble gleams above the blue water of the lagoon opposite the Piazzetta di San Marco and forms the focal point of
Riva degli Schiavoni is one of the most crowded areas in Venice. It's a picturesque waterfront in the central Castello district of the city, right along the Bacino di San Marco and the narrow bridge over the Rio di Palazzo della Paglia. It was originally built in the ninth century from dredged silt and was named for the Slavic men who brought cargo to Venice from across the Adriatic Sea.
The church of San Zaccaria is a place of worship catholic city of Venice, located in the district of Castello, near the field that takes its name. The church is dedicated to Zaccaria, father of San Giovanni Battista. Very ancient church dating back to the 9th century, at the origin of the city, it was a place closely linked to the archaic history of Venice. It was now one of the famous pilgrimage centers in this area and also a tourist attraction too.
Bridge of Sighs is one of the most famous bridges not just in Venice, but in the world. It passes over the Rio di Palazzo and connects the Dogi's Palace to the Prigioni, the prisons that were built across the canal in the late 16th century. The enclosed bridge is made of white limestone, has windows with stone bars, passes over the Rio di Palazzo, and connects the New Prison to the interrogation rooms in the Doge's Palace.
A dazzling pink and white marble design and has been described - fairly accurately - as an oversized wedding cake. Much of the present building dates from the 15th century – although an earlier building on the spot may date back to the 9th century - and has been rebuilt and added on to several times. The palace was the residence of the Doge of Venice, the supreme authority of the former Republic. It was built in 1340, and extended and modified in the following centuries. It became a museum in 19
The Marciana National Library is one of the largest Italian libraries and the most important in Venice. It contains one of the finest collections of Greek, Latin, and Oriental manuscripts in the world. Also known as Biblioteca Marciana, Biblioteca di San Marco, Libreria Marciana, Libreria Sansoviniana, Libreria Vecchia, or Libreria di San Marco, it is located on the lower part of Piazza San Marco, between the bell tower of San Marco and the Mint.
The Basilica di San Marco, right next to Saint Mark's Square and near the Doge's Palace, is the most famous of Venice's churches and is among the world's best-known examples of Byzantine architecture. It was built over several centuries, frequently transformed and enriched with precious treasures, often from the Far East. It is the most famous of the city's churches and one of the best-known examples of Italo-Byzantine architecture.
The Querini Stampalia Foundation is a cultural foundation of Venice based in Palazzo Querini Stampalia. Born in 1869 by the will of NH Giovanni Querini Stampalia, who, who died without direct heirs, decided to leave all his assets for the creation of an institution to which he entrusted the task of "promoting the cult of good studies and useful disciplines". This is still the mission of the Foundation today, which preserves the patrimony of the noble Venetian family.
It is one of the famous bell towers of San Marco. It is 97 meters high and on top is a golden statue of the Archangel Gabriel. The statue is 3 metres high and has big wings that, when pushed by the wind, make it rotate. For the Venetians, when the angel is facing the Basilica, it is a sign that there will be high water. it is the tallest and the most recognizable structures in the city.
The bookstore Libreria Acqua Alta is a great sight in Venice. The bookstore is named because it sits along a canal and can be subject to flooding when the city experience “acqua alta.” The self-proclaimed “most beautiful bookstore in the world” is composed of a number of over-stuffed rooms stacked wall-to-wall with books, magazines, maps, and other ephemera.
Piazza San Marco, located in Venice, is one of the most important Italian monumental squares, renowned throughout the world for its beauty and architectural integrity. It is the only urban space in Venice that properly takes the name of a square, as all the other spaces in the form of a square are properly defined fields. Its main body has a trapezoidal shape and is 170 meters long: other areas are grafted onto it. It is also known as " la Piazza " or " the drawing room of Europe ".
St Mark’s Square was the headquarters of the Government and prisons, executions, edicts, fairs and tournaments... The centre of religious life and the perfect setting to celebrate major festivals. Representing a meeting place since the period of the Most Serene Republic, St Mark's Square is still the favorite destination for the Venetians and the tourists who choose this place to enjoy its beauty and to spend a few light-heartedness hours.
The Clock Tower is a building of medieval origin that overlooks Piazza Dei Signori in Padua. It stands between the Palazzo del Capitanio and the Palazzo dei Camerlenghi. The tower was built in the first half of the fourteenth century as the eastern gate of the Carrarese Palace. In 1428 it was raised and adorned in Gothic style and equipped with the famous astronomical clock. In 1531 the great triumphal arch was added to the base, based on a project by Giovanni Maria Falconetto.
The Correr Museum is one of the most important and representative museums in the city of Venice. It is located in the San Marco district, near Piazza San Marco, and is part of the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia. It illustrates, in the various sections and in the varied and rich collections, the art, civilization, and history of Venice.
The basilica of Santi Giovanni e Paolo is the largest church in Venice and one of the most surprising. Inside you can find the tombs of 27 doges and some paintings from important artists. the funeral services of all of Venice's doges were held here, and twenty-five doges are buried in the church.
Santa Maria Della Salute is a basilica in Venice built in the Punta Della Dogana area, from where it stands out in the panorama of the San Marco Basin and the Grand Canal. Designed by Baldassare Longhena with attention to the models of Palladio, it is one of the best expressions of Venetian Baroque architecture. Its construction represents an ex-voto to the Madonna by the Venetians for the liberation from the plague that between1630 and 1631 decimated the population.
The church of Miracoli is a very special church, from a historical-artistic point of view, but also under a sentimental point of view for the Venetians. The church was built between 1481 and 1489 upon the commission of Angelo Amadi. The interior is enclosed by a wide barrel vault, with a single nave. The nave is dominated by an ornamental marble stair rising between two pulpits, with statues by Tullio Lombardo, Alessandro Vittoria, and Niccolò di Pietro. It was one of the iconic buildings in th