Attractions to explore nearby Giudecca
Giudecca was a beautiful island area characterized by large palazzos with gardens. In the early 20th century, it evolved into an industrial zone with shipyards, factories, and even a film studio. It lies immediately south of the central islands of Venice. Even though the island is a neighborhood of Venice, it is still quite different from the more popular part of the city and is not yet as crowded with tourists as Venice is.
The Peggy Guggenheim Collection is one of the most important museums of European and American art of the twentieth century in Italy. The museum presents Peggy Guggenheim's personal collection, masterpieces from the Hannelore B. and Rudolph B. Schulhof Collection, a sculpture garden as well as temporary exhibitions. It also includes works of prominent Italian futurists and American modernists working in such genres as Cubism, Surrealism, and abstract expressionism.
The Galleria dell'Accademia in Florence is an Italian state museum, located in via Ricasoli together with the Academy of fine arts. The gallery exhibits the largest number of Michelangelo's sculptures in the world, including the famous David. Inside the museum, there are also other sections, including the largest and most important collection in the world of pictorial works with a gold background, and the Museum of musical instruments, where many artifacts belonging to the historical collection
The Accademia Bridge is the southernmost of the four Venice bridges that cross the Grand Canal . It connects San Vidal to the former Church of Santa Maria della Carità. The bridge links the sestieri of Dorsoduro and San Marco. One of the iconic locations in this area which was famous among tourists.
Santa Maria Della Salute is a basilica in Venice built in the Punta Della Dogana area, from where it stands out in the panorama of the San Marco Basin and the Grand Canal. Designed by Baldassare Longhena with attention to the models of Palladio, it is one of the best expressions of Venetian Baroque architecture. Its construction represents an ex-voto to the Madonna by the Venetians for the liberation from the plague that between1630 and 1631 decimated the population.
Ca' Rezzonico is a palazzo on the Grand Canal in the Dorsoduro sestiere of Venice, Italy. It is a particularly notable example of the 18th century Venetian baroque and rococo architecture and interior decoration, and displays paintings by the leading Venetian painters of the period, including Francesco Guardi and Giambattista Tiepolo. It is a public museum dedicated to 18th-century Venice and one of the 11 venues managed by the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia.
Palazzo Grassi is a Venetian civil building, located in the San Marco district and overlooking the Grand Canal. It is one of the most famous lagoon buildings, as well as home to art exhibitions worthy of particular interest: it is famous because it is defined as the last patrician palace overlooking the Grand Canal before the collapse of the Serenissima Republic of Venice.
The Gran Teatro La Fenice, located in the San Marco district in Campo San Fantin, is today the main opera house in Venice, as well as one of the most prestigious in the world. Every year it holds the traditional New Year's Concert. Twice destroyed and rebuilt, it was the site of important opera and symphonic seasons and the International Festival of Contemporary Music. In the nineteenth century, the theater was the site of numerous world premieres of works by Gioachino Rossini, Vincenzo Bellini
The Correr Museum is one of the most important and representative museums in the city of Venice. It is located in the San Marco district, near Piazza San Marco, and is part of the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia. It illustrates, in the various sections and in the varied and rich collections, the art, civilization, and history of Venice.
One of the majestic church in Venice, designed in 1566 by Andrea Palladio and finished in 1610 by Vincenzo Scamozzi. The church stands on the island of San Giorgio Maggiore, opposite the monumental San Marco Basilica, and is one of the first sights of Venice visible to the traveler approaching by sea. The church is a basilica in the classical Renaissance style and its brilliant white marble gleams above the blue water of the lagoon opposite the Piazzetta di San Marco and forms the focal point of
San Giorgio Maggiore is a 16th-century Benedictine church on the island of the same name in Venice. San Giorgio Maggiore's gleaming white facade faces across the basin of San Marco to the great piazza. Built as part of the Benedictine monastery on the island. The island, or more specifically its Palladian church, is an important landmark. It has been much painted, featuring for example in a series by Monet.
Grand Canal, or "Canalazzo for the Venetian, is the main channel of Venice, which divides the city into two. It represents the main communication route along Venice's most important buildings are located in Oraa. The 16ft-deep Venice Grand Canal – known by locals as the Canalazzo – has over 170 buildings built along its two-and-a-half-mile length, many of them grand palazzos.
Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo is a building late Gothic of Venice , located in the district of San Marco , near Campo Manin , and overlooking the Rio di San Luca. It has a simple, linear and elegant appearance. The palazzo was designed and built in its current form in the 15th century by the architect Giovanni Candi as one of the city residences of the Contarini family. It is now one of the tourist attractions in this area.
The Palazzo Fortuny is a palazzo gothic of Venice located in the district of San Marco. It takes its name from the last owner, the artist Mariano Fortuny y Madrazo, and is home to the homonymous museum. Today the museum is part of the Venice Civic Museums Foundation. Previously, the building was known as Palazzo Pesaro degli Orfei. The palace became for a time the seat of the Orfei Philharmonic Academy, hence the name Palazzo Pesaro degli Orfei, with which it was later known.
The Marciana National Library is one of the largest Italian libraries and the most important in Venice. It contains one of the finest collections of Greek, Latin, and Oriental manuscripts in the world. Also known as Biblioteca Marciana, Biblioteca di San Marco, Libreria Marciana, Libreria Sansoviniana, Libreria Vecchia, or Libreria di San Marco, it is located on the lower part of Piazza San Marco, between the bell tower of San Marco and the Mint.
St Mark’s Square was the headquarters of the Government and prisons, executions, edicts, fairs and tournaments... The centre of religious life and the perfect setting to celebrate major festivals. Representing a meeting place since the period of the Most Serene Republic, St Mark's Square is still the favorite destination for the Venetians and the tourists who choose this place to enjoy its beauty and to spend a few light-heartedness hours.
Piazza San Marco, located in Venice, is one of the most important Italian monumental squares, renowned throughout the world for its beauty and architectural integrity. It is the only urban space in Venice that properly takes the name of a square, as all the other spaces in the form of a square are properly defined fields. Its main body has a trapezoidal shape and is 170 meters long: other areas are grafted onto it. It is also known as " la Piazza " or " the drawing room of Europe ".
It is one of the famous bell towers of San Marco. It is 97 meters high and on top is a golden statue of the Archangel Gabriel. The statue is 3 metres high and has big wings that, when pushed by the wind, make it rotate. For the Venetians, when the angel is facing the Basilica, it is a sign that there will be high water. it is the tallest and the most recognizable structures in the city.
A dazzling pink and white marble design and has been described - fairly accurately - as an oversized wedding cake. Much of the present building dates from the 15th century – although an earlier building on the spot may date back to the 9th century - and has been rebuilt and added on to several times. The palace was the residence of the Doge of Venice, the supreme authority of the former Republic. It was built in 1340, and extended and modified in the following centuries. It became a museum in 19
The Clock Tower is a building of medieval origin that overlooks Piazza Dei Signori in Padua. It stands between the Palazzo del Capitanio and the Palazzo dei Camerlenghi. The tower was built in the first half of the fourteenth century as the eastern gate of the Carrarese Palace. In 1428 it was raised and adorned in Gothic style and equipped with the famous astronomical clock. In 1531 the great triumphal arch was added to the base, based on a project by Giovanni Maria Falconetto.