20 Attractions to Explore Near Elbe-Havel Canal
Elbe-Havel Canal is a navigable waterway in Germany, linking the Elbe and Havel rivers. Its eastern end joins the Plauensee, a lake on the Havel River, at Brandenburg, downstream from Berlin. This Canal is 56 km long and has three locks. With a depth of 2 meters, it can accommodate vessels of up to 1,000 tons.
The Magdeburg Water Bridge is a navigable aqueduct in Germany that connects the Elbe-Havel Canal to the Mittelland Canal and allows ships to cross over the Elbe River. At 918 meters, it is the longest navigable aqueduct in the world. In addition to the bridge, a double lock was constructed to allow vessels to descend from the level of the bridge and Mittelland Canal to that of the Elbe-Havel Canal.
The Magdeburg Zoological Garden, or Magdeburg Zoo for short, is a zoological garden in Magdeburg in Saxony-Anhalt. The 16-hectare zoo in Magdeburg is visited by around 340,000 visitors every year. It has a parkland and a large playground for children. In 2016, around 1,400 animals belonging to over 210 species or races lived in the zoo.
The millennium tower in the Elbauenpark is a unique structure that was built for the 1999 Federal Horticultural Show. It includes a technology exhibition showing the achievements of the past 6,000 years. The exhibition on the development of sciences, which is supported by many descriptive experiments with which the visitor can interact. One notable example is a powerful telescope through which visitors can observe the distant clock-face on the Magdeburger cathedral.
The Elbauenpark is a family and leisure park in the northeast of Magdeburg. The park area is about 100 hectares and consists of the parts Kleiner Anger and Großer Anger, which are separated by the busy Herrenkrugstraße but connected by a pedestrian bridge. The park has a total of four combined entrances and exits and three exits. According to Stern magazine, the Elbauenpark is the best leisure attraction in Saxony-Anhalt.
The Magdeburg rider is an equestrian statue that was made around 1240 in the younger Magdeburg workshop. It is an early life-size round three-dimensional equestrian statue of medieval sculpture and is one of the first-rate works of European art history. Two virgins complete it to form a group of figures. The three statues consist of several blocks of fine-grain sandstone.
Kunstmuseum Magdeburg - Kloster Unser Lieben Frauen is a monastery in Magdeburg's old town . The building ensemble is one of the most important Romanesque structures in Germany . Today the buildings are used as the municipal art museum, the monastery of Our Lady and the concert hall. The monastery is one of the most famous sights in the city. It is in close proximity to Magdeburg Cathedral and the city center.
The Green Citadel is a building in Magdeburg designed by Friedensreich Hundertwasser . It was completed in 2005. It is the last project Hundertwasser worked on before his death. With the Hundertwasserschule in Lutherstadt Wittenberg , he artistically designed another building in Saxony-Anhalt. The house is located in the city center in the immediate vicinity of the Domplatz and the Landtag.
The Magdeburg Cathedral which was also called as Magdeburg dom is the oldest existing gothic cathedral in Germany. Initially built in the nine hundreds. The cathedral is also home to the grave of Otto I the Great. It survived multiple destructions of Magdeburg and still shapes the silhouette of the city.
The Rotehornpark, also known as Stadtpark Rotehorn, is the largest city park in Magdeburg with an area of 200 hectares. The park is located on an Elbe island and is part of the Garden Dreams Saxony-Anhalt network. It is located on the Elbe island of Werder and can be reached from the city center via the bridge train with two tram lines, one bus line and by car.
The High Fläming Nature Park, with its 827 square kilometers, the third-largest major reserve in the state of Brandenburg. The Hohe Fläming was declared a nature park on November 28, 1997, by an announcement by the Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, and Regional Planning. The state of Brandenburg is responsible for the nature park.
The Bauhaus Museum Dessau is a museum dedicated to the Bauhaus design movement located in Dessau, Germany.IT has a collection of 49,000 is the second-largest collection of Bauhaus-related objects in the world. Its building was designed by the Spanish architecture firm Addenda Architects. Its lower atrium floor houses temporary exhibitions, while the upper floor is devoted to the permanent collection.
The Wörlitzer Park, also Wörlitzer Anlagen, is a landscape garden in Wörlitz in the district of Wittenberg. It belongs to today's UNESCO World Heritage Site Dessau-Wörlitzer Gartenreich, which was founded in the second half of the 18th century under the reign of Prince Leopold III. Friedrich Franz von Anhalt-Dessau was created. The park was created on Lake Wörlitzer, a branch of the Elbe, and belongs to the Garden Dreams Saxony-Anhalt network.
Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm is a cultural landscape in Saxony-Anhalt that is significant throughout Europe and consists of several buildings and landscape parks based on the English model. The garden realm today covers an area of 142 km² along the Elbe in the Middle Elbe Biosphere Reserve. It has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since November 2000 . It was included in the Blue Book published in 2001.
Beelitz-Heilstätten is home to a large hospital complex of about 60 buildings, including a cogeneration plant built-in 1898. The place served as a military hospital of the Imperial German Army in World War I. Today, a few small sections of the enormous hospital are used for neurological rehabilitation and Parkinson’s research. The majority of the complex, including the surgery ward, the psychiatric ward, and a rifle range, have all been abandoned and left to decay back into the surrounding fores
The Middle Elbe biosphere reserves with its unique flora and fauna lies in Saxony-Anhalt and extend among other places along with Lutherstadt Wittenberg. The natural floodplain landscape on the Elbe is home to many endangered animals and plants, such as the kingfisher, the sea eagle, or the rare Siberian sword lily. The symbolic animal and most famous representative of this landscape is the Elbebeiber, which can grow undisturbed in the protected and natural meadowlands of the Elbe.
The Drömling is an approximately 340 km² and sparsely populated lowland area on the border between Lower Saxony and Saxony-Anhalt. The larger part of Saxony-Anhalt in the east was a nature park from 1990 and has been a national biosphere reserve since 2019. The former marshland was converted from a natural to a cultural landscape in the 18th century on the instructions of Frederick the Great.
The Mulde is a river in Central Germany. It is formed when the Zwickauer Mulde and the Freiberger Mulde coming from the Erzgebirge meet near Colditz. It runs on through the Saxon towns Grimma, Wurzen, and Eilenburg to Dessau in Saxony-Anhalt. The river flows three kilometers north of Dessau into the Elbe River. The Mulde has a length of 124 kilometers and is one of the fastest rivers in Central Europe. It is not navigable.
The New Palace is situated on the Sanssouci park's western side in Potsdam, Germany. It was built in 1769 and considered to be the last grand Prussian baroque palace. The palace was built in varying forms of Baroque architecture and decoration. The building of the palace commenced in 1763, at the end of the Seven Years' War, to celebrate Prussia’s success.
All saints church is a Lutheran church in Wittenberg, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. It is the site where, according to Philip Melanchthon, the Ninety-five Theses were posted by Martin Luther in 1517. One of the majestic buildings in this area which is important in its lifestyle.
The Lutherhaus is a writer's house museum in Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Germany. Originally constructed in 1504 as part of the University of Wittenberg, the building was the home of Martin Luther for most of his adult life and an important place in the history of the Protestant Reformation. Luther lived here when he wrote his 95 theses.